Curious - Windows 11 rollout

FreeITstafford

Well-Known Forumite
Microsoft officially ends support for Windows 10 in exactly 4 years.
When our project first started we'd been told (by Microsoft themselves) that Windows 10 would be the last ever Windows, and they'd simply update it for ever more.
We'd been promising our recipients that they'd be good for licensing for as long as the life of their PC. Great, because we can make (pretty much) anything run on Windows 10.
Then, bombshell. We're told about Windows 11, and its OTT hardware requirements, and overnight our pledge completely changed from "the life of the PC" to "errmmm.. you've actually only got 4 years and this kit will be compromised because there will be no more security updates". Windows 11 simply wouldn't run on 99% of the donations we get, and it will savagely increase the amount of stuff going to e-waste.
We're already looking at alternatives. We're really familiar with Ubuntu, but not everybody is.
My question is this, what will the average home user be doing in 4 years time?
-Continuing using Windows 10 and take the chance that security vulnerabilities will no longer be fixed
-Buying new kit that can run Windows 11
-Using open-source alternatives like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc?
 

BobClay

Well-Known Forumite
Linux is a good operating system, but the change for users used to Windows would not be without its lumps and bumps. Sadly Microsoft have deemed that the release version of Windows 11 will only run on motherboards that have the TPM (Trusted Platform Module) fitted. Bear in mind if this is on a motherboard (most made during the last 5 years do) it usually comes disabled as default. Hence you would need to go into the BIOS and enable it.

TPM makes the system more secure, but it's at the cost of not being able to upgrade PC's of more than 5 years old (ish.)

This link might be of help if you want to check whether a given motherboard has TPM, and also helps to show how to enable it if it is.

 

Withnail

Well-Known Forumite
Bill Gates, sitting under the Virtual Bo Tree, attained Enlightenment, one that said he was now actually a Billionaire, and he didn't need any more money.

Unfortunately it was a Capitalist Enlightenment, subject to wild fluctuations of inflation, of ego as well as many other things, rendering it almost immediately worthless.

Shareholders everywhere breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Atlas shrugged, the rest of us just groaned.

Then carried on much as before.
 

FreeITstafford

Well-Known Forumite
I get the TPM thing, I'm led to believe there may be a workaround with a "no guarantees" clause that might allow Win11 to work on older hardware, but that the reason for the harsh requirements is more for features they haven't implemented yet which will inevitably crash older systems. Something to do with memory management (there's an acronym for it I'm sure), which, when it does eventually get installed as part of a future update, will cause 75% reduction in performance for those lagging behind.
I'm more curious really about how the split ratio will go. I'll make a shot in the dark and say I reckon 90% will upgrade / continue as is, and the other 10% will look for alternative OS. There's bound to be the windows fanboys and big corporations who will just bear the cost.
 

BobClay

Well-Known Forumite
You may well be right about the work around. My old machine which I used for Microsoft Insider Ring testing for some years has no TMP yet a couple of months ago it downloaded and installed a pre-release version of Windows 11 and is working fine, but I can no longer use it for Insider Ring Testing as it will not take Windows 11 updates or new builds. So I've had to move the Insider Ring testing to a more modern machine ... (and I had to enable TMP on this one as it wouldn't fly without it.)
 

Lucy

Well-Known Forumite
We only got our Windows 10 roll out at work done in October, because we all had to have new hardware. And even then we have to have VDIs for some bits of legacy software.
 
Top