Does anyone know..?

Gramaisc

Forum O. G.
Issues with static electricity are often multi-faceted.

Apart from the current atmospheric situation, your clothing, footwear, hair and many other things can factor into your experience.

Some people do seem much more susceptible than others, for some unexplained reasons.
 

littleme

250,000th poster!
Issues with static electricity are often multi-faceted.

Apart from the current atmospheric situation, your clothing, footwear, hair and many other things can factor into your experience.

Some people do seem much more susceptible than others, for some unexplained reasons.
I get a lot of static shocks at work, and have to keep away from certain tills because of it, as they're quite violent. Also I've got no chance off putting plastic carrier bags on a certain metal hook.... They seem to be getting worse and more painful as I get older.
 

Gramaisc

Forum O. G.
I get a lot of static shocks at work, and have to keep away from certain tills because of it, as they're quite violent. Also I've got no chance off putting plastic carrier bags on a certain metal hook.... They seem to be getting worse and more painful as I get older.
OK, it sounds like you are just one of the weird people. Where I worked there was a couple of acres of epoxy resin floor and charging up was a bit of a problem for most people, a big problem for some and no problem for some others.

Standard practice in dry weather was to earth yourself every now and then, to prevent building up a 'good one', but some people really had to pay attention to that aspect or get a significant shock when they finally reached somewhere that would discharge them.

One individual had quite a hard time in the summer months, yet others had no problem, even then.

I once fixed a lightswitch that someone told me was "giving me shocks", by just putting some tape over the screws, so it didn't discharge him after he'd walked down the hall carpet to turn it on. It would get him 50% of the time, but I couldn't provoke it to do it to me. Having ascertained that the screws weren't live, I quizzed him about getting bangs off his car, which he said happened all the time. I've never had a static shock off a vehicle.

Hoses and nozzles in petrol stations are designed to discharge you safely in the time that it takes you to pick it up and and reach the tank inlet.
 

Theresa Green

Well-Known Forumite
I get a lot of static shocks at work, and have to keep away from certain tills because of it, as they're quite violent. Also I've got no chance off putting plastic carrier bags on a certain metal hook.... They seem to be getting worse and more painful as I get older.
Curly Perm?
 

Glam

Mad Cat Woman
I get a lot of static shocks at work, and have to keep away from certain tills because of it, as they're quite violent. Also I've got no chance off putting plastic carrier bags on a certain metal hook.... They seem to be getting worse and more painful as I get older.
I get a lot of shocks off the filing cabinets at work. The floor is a normal vinyl/lino type thing, shoes have a rubbery/ plasticky sole. No matter how I approach stuff, you can literally see a small spark when I touch the metal. Hurts too.
 

littleme

250,000th poster!
I get a lot of shocks off the filing cabinets at work. The floor is a normal vinyl/lino type thing, shoes have a rubbery/ plasticky sole. No matter how I approach stuff, you can literally see a small spark when I touch the metal. Hurts too.
I get the noise too, other people can hear it, and if they're near enough to me they get a shock too 🤣🤣🤣 funny but not funny as its getting more & more painful.

@Gramaisc how can I earth myself?
 
Last edited:

Gramaisc

Forum O. G.
I get the noise too, other people can hear it, and if they're near enough to me thay get a shock too 🤣🤣🤣 funny but not funny as its getting more & more painful.

@Gramaisc how can I earth myself?
Touch something which is reasonably earthed. If you do it often enough, you'll not be bothered by the discharge. If you wait longer, you'll feel a tiny shock - even longer and you'll get a bigger one.

You could experiment with various clothing and footwear arrangements.

Also, take note if the effects are less when it finally rains again.

Ultimately, you can tether yourself electrically, as people sometimes do when working on static sensitive electronics, but that's not really viable in your work setting, I suspect.

If you do tether yourself to earth, do it via a high resistance. this will be adequate to discharge you - but restrict the current, should you put a hand on a live mains connection.
 

littleme

250,000th poster!
Touch something which is reasonably earthed. If you do it often enough, you'll not be bothered by the discharge. If you wait longer, you'll feel a tiny shock - even longer and you'll get a bigger one.

You could experiment with various clothing and footwear arrangements.

Also, take note if the effects are less when it finally rains again.

Ultimately, you can tether yourself electrically, as people sometimes do when working on static sensitive electronics, but that's not really viable in your work setting, I suspect.

If you do tether yourself to earth, do it via a high resistance. this will be adequate to discharge you - but restrict the current, should you put a hand on a live mains connection.
Anti static footwear bought.... Im sorry but the rest is gobbledygook to me of little knowledge....
 

Cue

Well-Known Forumite
One of our guys at work is prone to them, only thing we’ve been able to identify is his new shoes have memory foam insoles
 

Gramaisc

Forum O. G.
One of our guys at work is prone to them, only thing we’ve been able to identify is his new shoes have memory foam insoles
There are many inconclusive theories about why some people seem more prone to static issues - clothing, walking gait, condition of the skin surface and many other things may affect the rate that they both charge and discharge.

Personally, I suspect that being prone to static shocks shows that they are agents of Satan.


I've always been surprised that cars aren't worse than they are - they are essentially Van der Graaf generators. Maybe the carbon black in the tyres is enough to promote a steady self-discharge?
 

Gramaisc

Forum O. G.
... if this really existed?

I have a 'definite memory' of a small comic available when I was a child - like a 'younger style' Beano, and about half the size, more A5 than A4.

The special feature of this publication was that it was printed on rice paper, using food colourings for the "inks".

This meant that copies could be easily disposed of, when finished with them, by the simple expedient of eating them.

Few people that I've mentioned it to have been prepared to confirm the existence of this publication, and it is possible that it may only have been available to me when living in Malta,

Anybody else remember such a thing? The internet is quiet on the matter.

Maybe it was felt that it might induce people to attempt to eat less edible comics?
 

Gramaisc

Forum O. G.
Do you have a time frame? I'll ask about in my geeky circles.
It would have been around 1960 or a little later.

The more I think about it, the more I probably only remember it in Malta.

It might just have been some 'cottage industry' thing, but it was widely known in my circle.
 
Top