The Sun Inn.

AndyST17

King Fox
I'm trying The Sun tonight, i'm only going for a couple of pints, so what real ale do you recommend me trying?
 

Admin

You there; behave!
Staff member
Rather than merge this thread with the old Titanic take over Tequila Red, I think it makes sense for The Sun to have a thread of their own, so I'll leave this one as is and we can all start afresh. :)

Of course, if anyone is a latecomer to this thread, and wants to read about the development and re-opening of The Sun, they should read the old thread found here. :)
 

db

#chaplife
anyone eaten in there yet? what time do they serve food? is it typical pub fare (and i don't mean that in a bad way, that's exactly my cup of tea/pint of ale/game of cricket/insert english idiom here)?

i'm impressed with the work done on the exterior, looks very nice.. modern, but not too brash!
 

Kingy

Well-Known Forumite
AndyST17 said:
I'm trying The Sun tonight, i'm only going for a couple of pints, so what real ale do you recommend me trying?
I usually try the guests but you might find this useful

http://www.titanicbrewery.co.uk/beers.html
 

tek-monkey

wanna see my snake?
db said:
anyone eaten in there yet? what time do they serve food? is it typical pub fare (and i don't mean that in a bad way, that's exactly my cup of tea/pint of ale/game of cricket/insert english idiom here)?
Had some chips if that helps, they were nice. Was on our way to Karma at the time so didn't want much.
 

basil

don't mention the blinds
AndyST17 said:
I'm trying The Sun tonight, i'm only going for a couple of pints, so what real ale do you recommend me trying?
If it's only gonna be a couple then maybe go for summat stronger such as the capt smith @ 5.2% food is served up until about 8 o'clock......
 

juice-comedy

Well-Known Forumite
I have eaten there twice. The food is good pub food (burger, fish and chips, pie and chips etc.), very cheap prices (when compared to anything other than a Weatherspoons). I think the most expensive meal is £7.

I had a fish-finger sandwich, which is home-made battered cod in chunky bread, which was okay. Nothing overly special. I also shared a sharing-platter which had onion rings and chicken strips and things. Again, not bad.

Today I had the Titanic Burger which was nice. The burger had a good beefy flavour and was far from bland (which is what I expect from most pub burgers). Chips are okay.

Service was quick but there weren't a lot of people eating.
 

AndyST17

King Fox
John Marwood said:
]
yes,unless you have eight, then dont expect to be at work on time the next day
How about
Finish work on an empty stomach
2 Pints of Captain Smith
1 Pint of Anchor
2 Pints of Steerage
1 Pint Of Rule Britainnia
A sample of white Star
About 10 double JD's and a few pints of carling and god knows how many shots in Casa
Somebodys number
A Pizza from Tusba
A stop by the Police because i have a "good stagger"
Home at 0355
And somehow gotta be up at 8......
 

John Marwood

I ♥ cryptic crosswords
Aahh..

youth, I remember that

Or do I..

The legal drug that is alcohol - discuss

We are effectively poisoing our bodies each time we have a 'drink' so no excuses here

I have quite effectively poisened my body for about 38 years now

My recovery time is about 6 weeks...

and why is it the number is always written on your hand?
 

db

#chaplife
juice-comedy said:
I have eaten there twice. The food is good pub food (burger, fish and chips, pie and chips etc.), very cheap prices (when compared to anything other than a Weatherspoons). I think the most expensive meal is £7.

I had a fish-finger sandwich, which is home-made battered cod in chunky bread, which was okay. Nothing overly special. I also shared a sharing-platter which had onion rings and chicken strips and things. Again, not bad.

Today I had the Titanic Burger which was nice. The burger had a good beefy flavour and was far from bland (which is what I expect from most pub burgers). Chips are okay.

Service was quick but there weren't a lot of people eating.
this all sounds good, thanks JC.. loving the idea of a fish finger samich!
 

Trumpet

Well-Known Forumite
John Marwood said:
We are effectively poisoing our bodies each time we have a 'drink' so no excuses here

I have quite effectively poisened my body for about 38 years now
I got quite well 'poisoned' at Goodwood races yesterday.

Back on topic, my particular fave at The Sun is Steerage, only 3.5% so a good 'session' beer.
 

zakkwylde87

Well-Known Forumite
I went in for the first time yesterday. Fair to say me and my mate were well impressed and stayed for a few. I really liked the batemans. I did try the cider, but i wasnt that impressed for £3.10 when everything else is so reasonably priced and very tasty. It is very easy to become poisoned in there....
 

juice-comedy

Well-Known Forumite
On the ciders, Heritage is a very nice cloudly cask cider and it's not fizzy which is key for me. It goes down like apple juice and is 4.9% so you migh have to be careful.

I have to say that £3.10 for a premium drink product is not expensive. Outside of Weatherspoons, that is what these things tend to cost. The Titanic beers will obviously be cheaper because they can give themselves a hefty discount, but if you're buying in a quality product then that's what you have to charge to make a profit.

What has impressed me most about The Sun is that their none ale products aren't the cheap everyday rubbish you get everywhere else. They've gone for premium lagers and ciders rather than Carling and Strongbow. This is a risk, not just because of the price but also the brand-name. Working in pubs, the amount of times people have actually walked out of the building because I've told them we don't sell Carling or Strongbow is unbelievable.
 

Trumpet

Well-Known Forumite
juice-comedy said:
Working in pubs, the amount of times people have actually walked out of the building because I've told them we don't sell Carling or Strongbow is unbelievable.
Their loss.
 

tek-monkey

wanna see my snake?
juice-comedy said:
Working in pubs, the amount of times people have actually walked out of the building because I've told them we don't sell Carling or Strongbow is unbelievable.
I just spent a week in Somerset walking out of bars because the best they sold was Bulmers :(
 
Top