wanna see my snake?
Tried to decorate, could have gone better!
Welcome to Stafford Forum. Please or sign-up and start posting!
@BobClay's mention, elsewhere, of the tool shop by the Odeon, prompted me to try to get a picture of the Spintiller in action, having bought it there.About thirty years ago, one of the shops 'in' the old Odeon, the one next to where Narvana is now, was a very interesting tool shop and I bought many things there, including a couple of Spintiller manual cultivators. One of only two manufactured items that I have ever seen with Made in New Zealand stamped on it.
View attachment 6697
It;s a well-made thing and works remarkably well - for a garden gadget.
The plots below are fallow for this year and grass clippings, plus hedge trimmings, etc, are scattered thinly, left for a couple of weeks and then the top three inches is fluffed up to incorporate them.
View attachment 6698
The plot on the left was turned over in about three minutes.
Ran by Kev Reynolds, ex Monks & Crane. It probably opened mid to late 80’s. He could get you just about anything if he didn’t have it in stock.
He was an interesting character, who really knew his subject.Ran by Kev Reynolds, ex Monks & Crane. It probably opened mid to late 80’s. He could get you just about anything if he didn’t have it in stock.
I’m pretty sure the shop was called Toolbox (or similar). He ran a mobile disco in the 70’s/80’s called Bandbox & the names were linked.
I have rolls of these lying around somewhere, at least 30m I reckon.I got some LED strips ages ago, on the basis that they looked handy, but I've never used them, other than illuminating the glass-doored cupboards last year.
They're about six feet long, when fully assembled, so I've mounted one right up in the eight feet long apex of the 'glass shed' greenhouse.
View attachment 12386
View attachment 12387
They're completely out-of-the-way and give enough light to see what you're doing, whilst only consuming three or four watts.
And I still have one left for when I sort out the other greenhouse.
Yesterday, I emptied, moved, repaired & refilled 2 mini plastic greenhouses, potted on 4 red acers, and dug in a new hydrangea & an unknown plant (could be a lambs ear), thoroughly enjoyed my day but hurt my back so back on tablets for a while... Fun timesSo, I decided to start the demolition today and I managed to do it without any collateral damage to myself, the greenhouse or anything that I intend to reuse.
It became clear, when I started to dismantle the propagator, that the materials it was made from have 'aged' a good bit, particularly the insulation and reassembly would be a little difficult. So, I decided to remove the "necessary gubbins" and commit to building a new box for it - this will actually be easier, I think, than trying to create a framework to accommodate the existing one exactly.
The greenhouse is now 'empty' and I managed all this just before the promised rain came, although the day was really gusty here.
View attachment 12420
I might also be able to stop the slight drip though the automatic window...
And I'll see if I can relocate the ferns somewhere more suitable (for me).
The propagator contained rather more sand than I expected, I don't think I'll put it all back in.
View attachment 12421
The working parts of the propagator heating arrangement.
View attachment 12422
The junction box had two neon indicators, salvaged from dead kettles - one to indicate a mains supply and one to show when the thermostat had turned the heating 'on'.
The thermostat is still working perfectly, but has suffered cosmetically from the extreme environment.
The blue cable is the heater - 10 watts per metre when energised. It's an interesting item. The blue sheath is an insulator and two wires run through it, one along each edge - they are separated by a high resistance dielectric, providing the heating effect. Connect one wire to Neutral and the other to Live and away you go. I ran both ends of each wire into the junction box, to avoid having a 'loose end'. It's intended for trace heating of pipework, inserted inside the thermal insulation, but it's ideal for this, too. There's a little limescale on the cable outer, but that should rub off.
The heater never really came on much, mostly just at night - the location in a greenhouse, with the 'extra greenhouse effect' of also having glass sheets as a cover, plus the insulation and the mass of the sand, gave it a fairly stable and reliable temperature.
The piece of insulation is one of the better bits - a lot of it is a bit 'friable', so I'll start again (at some point), i just want to get the bench framework in place for now, really.
Mine's growing nicely, although I think there may be a Japanese sniper in there.